A marbled heart is sure to please everyone and anyone!
This festive treat is sure to be a crowd-pleaser, especially at celebrations around Valentine’s Day. Although I usually decorate my sugar cookies with royal icing, I wanted to make a sweet treat which was not only delicious but less time consuming. This recipe was perfect! These cookies are crisp on the outside, but soft on the inside. They compliment a cup of tea perfectly, and once you have one, you will be coming back for more.
If you want to add some sparkle, dip the cookie edges in pink sugar candy before baking and it will give an extra hint of sweet deliciousness.
MARBLED HEARTS INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- Pink food coloring
- Pink sugar candy
MARBLED HEARTS INSTRUCTIONS
- Cream the butter with a mixer until it is soft and smooth. Add the sugar and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla extract and salt. Lightly beat before adding the egg. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix until all additions are incorporated.
- Combine the baking powder and flour in a separate bowl, and gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Mix until the dough is fully combined, but be sure not to over-mix.
- Remove half of the dough and transfer it to a clean bowl. Add a small amount of pink food colouring to the remaining dough and beat until fully tinted.
- Pinch off portions of the dough (both the plain and coloured dough) and roll into small balls. Once the dough has been divided, knead it all together until swirls of colour are visible.
- Shape dough into a ball and wrap in cling film. Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out hearts, dip edges in sugar and place them on baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Chill the cookies for another 30 minutes before baking them in a preheated oven at 175°C / 350°F.
- Bake for about 10 minutes and allow cookies to rest on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire wrack to cool completely.
- Enjoy them fresh or keep them in an airtight container for about 5 days.